OUR SCHOOL COMMUNITY
Harvest Prep is among the highest performing schools for African American students in Minnesota, despite serving a student body that's primarily low-income. We emphasize a culture of high expectations and celebrate academic achievement. We plant the notion “I will go to college” in each of our scholars early and often.
We address five critical in-school factors to close the achievement gap: preparation, time, belief, teaching, and leadership. Our primary objective is to address each of these factors through rigorous academic programming accompanied by culturally relevant messages that encourage structure, discipline, and an expectation of college education.
Key features of our school:
- A school culture that builds confidence and encourages self-control, while focusing on academic achievement
- Single-gender classrooms, allowing us to cater instruction and support to our male and female scholars separately based on the best research in this area
- Academic support tailored to different learning styles
- Highly-skilled teachers supported by ongoing professional development
- In-depth involvement of parents
- An education that incorporates African culture and heritage
- Closing the “belief gap” through a mindset that all children can learn at high levels